5 Extreme Activities & Adventures Along Alabama’s Gulf Coast
Your heart will be pounding with adrenaline when you explore all of the adventurous and extreme activities in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach.
- Try your fishing luck on the Alabama Gulf Coast and make your dreams of catching the big one come true. Rent a boat and explore the back bays or catch amberjack from the second largest pier in the Gulf. The destination has more than 100 experienced charter boat captains ready to take you to fish some of the 17,000 artificial reefs spanning more than 1,200 square miles (the largest reef system in the country).
- Swim around with a wide variety of marine life at the four new snorkeling reefs in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. You’ll find two near Gulf State Park’s pavilion, one at Alabama Point, and one at Romar Beach. Or you might enjoy snorkeling The Alabama Point jetties in Orange Beach, the Whiskey Wreck in Gulf Shores or the Paddle Wheeler in Gulf Shores where marine life abounds.
- Dive deeper to the first deck and wheelhouse of the freighter The LuLu, sunk in 2013, or the New Venture, a 250-foot ocean surveying ship, sunk in June 2018. You might spot an octopus disappearing into its lair, a sea turtle languidly exploring the area and schools of fish flitting curiously around you.
- View some colorful migratory birds or spot some frolicking dolphins when you hop in a kayak for a few hours and paddle Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge. If you prefer hiking and biking, explore Gulf State Park’s 6,000 acres of pristine coastline and wildlife refuge including more than 27 miles of paved paths along the Hugh S. Branyon Backcountry Trail. You might even glimpse a white-tailed deer grazing on foliage or spot an alligator basking in the sun.
- Ready to get your heart thumping? Check out high-in-the-sky adventures such as parasailing, helicopter tours, flying a gyroplane, skydiving or traversing Alabama’s longest zipline.
After all of the excitement, you’ll be ready to down a few cold ones and grab a bite to eat at one of the award-winning restaurants. After dinner, explore the many nightlife options from concerts and karaoke to one-of-a-kind bars.
Book your adventures along Alabama’s Gulf Coast today.