Mayor emboldens employees to “Tri-It-On” Sept. 8
Gulf Shores & Orange Beach
Brett/Robinson Alabama Coastal Triathlon kicks off fall sports in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach
GULF SHORES AND ORANGE BEACH, ALA. – The fall sports lineup begins along Alabama’s beaches with a staple, community-minded event – the Brett/Robinson Alabama Coastal Triathlon – Saturday, Sept. 8, 2018. The triathlon, along with a “Tri-It-On” short course race, allows participants to take in the sun, surf and sand from a fitness viewpoint – one that resonates with the city of Gulf Shores.
“Each year, the Alabama Coastal Triathlon brings a new opportunity to encourage the city of Gulf Shores employees to participate and demonstrate their commitment to getting fit and staying healthy,” said Mayor Robert Craft. “I am proud of the number of participants we have seen in the last couple of years, and I look forward to another great outcome this September.”
Since the triathlon’s inception in 2007, thousands of participants, including city employees, have competed individually or on relay teams, conquering the main event’s 1.5K swim in the Gulf of Mexico, 40K bike ride and 6-mile scenic beach run or the short course’s 300-yard swim, 12.4-mile bike ride and 2-mile run. Pre- and post-race events will take place at The Hangout.
Other sporting events taking place September through the end of the year in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach include the NBL Beach Brawl Karate (Oct. 6), SEC Women’s Soccer Championship (Oct. 28 to Nov. 4), World Food Championships (Nov. 7-11), Kaiser Realty by Wyndham Vacation Rentals Half-Marathon and 5K (Nov. 24), NAIA Women’s Soccer National Championship (Nov. 26 to Dec. 1) and the National Youth Football Team Championship (Nov. 30 to Dec. 2).
To sign up for the triathlon, visit https://gsob.co/2LE4ZGw, and book your vacation rental with Brett/Robinson at Brett-Robinson.com. Volunteers are needed for this event, and civic groups can earn money by volunteering. The Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Sports Commission’s Volunteer Incentive Program contributes $40 per volunteer for each shift worked at designated athletic events. Contact Sarah Cooper at 251-974-4611 or [email protected] to learn more.
For information on upcoming athletic events along Alabama’s Gulf Coast, visit GulfShores.com/Sports, or call 1-800-745-SAND.
Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Sports Commission Fall Schedule:
- Sept. 1: Tacky Jacks Bloody Mary 5K and 1-Mile Fun Run
- Sept. 7-8: Bulls on the Beach
- Sept. 8: Brett/Robinson Alabama Coastal Triathlon
- Sept. 8-9: 8th Annual Super Slugger Co-Ed Softball Tournament
- Sept. 8-9: Publix Super Cup Soccer Tournament (girls)
- Sept. 15: T.E.A.L. There's A Cure 4-Mile Run/Walk and 1-Mile Fun Run
- Sept. 15-16: Publix Super Cup Soccer Tournament (boys)
- Sept. 15-16: Flora-Bama Leadoff Classic (softball)
- Sept. 20-23: Alabama State Tri-Level Championships (tennis)
- Sept. 21-23: Battle at the Beach Junior Tennis Tournament
- Sept. 22: Make-A-Wish Alabama 5K and Fun Run
- Sept. 29: 95KSJ Kruise for St. Jude
- Oct. 6: NBL Beach Brawl Karate
- Oct. 6: Gulf Shores Middle School Robotics Competition - Bots at the Beach
- Oct. 12-13: Sanddollar Showcase (softball)
- Oct. 12-13: Shrimp Festival Volleyball Invitational
- Oct. 13: Shrimp Festival 10K and 5K Run
- Oct. 25-28: Alabama Adult Combo Tennis State Championships (40s and 55s)
- Oct. 26-27: AOPA Fly-In
- Oct. 28-Nov. 4: SEC Women's Soccer Championship
- Nov. 3: Fall Beach Blast Volleyball
- Nov. 7-11: World Food Championships
- Nov. 8-11: Alabama Southern Combos Doubles Tennis State Championships
- Nov. 8-11: Coastal Alabama Couples Classic (golf)
- Nov. 17: NJCAA Men's & Women's Half-Marathon
- Nov. 19-21: Gulf Shores Battle at the Beach Thanksgiving Basketball Tournament
- Nov. 24: Kaiser Realty by Wyndham Vacation Rentals Half-Marathon, 5K and 1-Mile Fun Run
- Nov. 26-Dec. 1: NAIA Women's Soccer National Championship
- Nov. 30-Dec. 2: National Youth Football Team Championship
- Dec. 8-9: USSSA Hall of Fame Weekend
Caption: The Brett/Robinson Alabama Coastal Triathlon takes place Saturday, Sept. 8, 2018, at the Gulf Shores Public Beach with pre- and post-race events at The Hangout.
Credit: Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Tourism
About Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Sports Commission:
Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Sports Commission is a partnership between Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Tourism (GSOBT), the Coastal Alabama Business Chamber and the cities of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. In 2007, this commission became a department within GSOBT. In this role, the commission – along with assistance from both cities – works to bring quality sporting events to Alabama’s Gulf Coast. To learn more about a whole different state of play, please visit GulfShores.com/Sports.