Kiva Dunes – Play the #1 Public Golf Course in Alabama
With 32 miles of pristine beaches, the Alabama Gulf Coast is the perfect destination for a beach getaway.
But everyone’s idea of relaxation is different and that’s why Gulf Shores and Orange Beach is also the ideal place to go if golf is one of your favorite activities. Gulf Shores is home to the number one public golf course in Alabama – Kiva Dunes.
A Challenging, Yet Rewarding Experience
Whether you are a beginner looking to improve your skills or a seasoned golfer, Kiva Dunes is a golfing paradise for every standard. A challenging yet rewarding experience will give everyone that visits Kiva Dunes the opportunity to enjoy a secluded links-style property along the Alabama Gulf Coast.
When former U.S. Open champion Jerry Pate and local property developer Jim Edgemon designed this layout, they meticulously used the existing landscape and created an immersive golfing experience that will aesthetically appeal to every golfer that walks the fairways. The precise positioning of sand traps combined with some challenging rough enhances the existing topography at Kiva Dunes.
Secluded Gulf Coast Golf Resort
Visitors to Kiva Dunes can enjoy the secluded property along Fort Morgan road, by not only enjoying the gorgeous golf course but also the on-property vacation rental accommodations that are available, creating the ultimate golfing getaway on the Gulf Coast. This resort-style experience is what helps Kiva Dunes stand out among a plethora of other inviting golf courses along this stretch of coastline. Of course, there are many other great vacation rental options near the resort, as well.
Risk Reward Layout
When I heard Kiva Dunes is renowned as being “very natural, with a lot of exposed sand and gnarly scrub oak,” I knew this was a course I would quickly fall in love with. Having played some of the best links courses around the UK, this immediately felt like “home” with several holes comparable to iconic courses in Scotland.
The opening three holes epitomize the rest of the course with a relatively easy first hole followed by a risk-reward par 5 second and a tricky, yet spectacular par-3 third. Kiva Dunes is a course that you will be rewarded for quality shots but punished for anything that is a little off-target if you miss the fairways in the wrong spot.
Play smart golf around this course and you are halfway to achieving a good score…but then you have the undulating greens to contend with. Overcome those and you will head to the 19th hole with a scorecard to be proud of. The condition of the course, particularly the fairways and greens, is a real credit to the local greenkeepers at Kiva Dunes and is yet another reason why this is such an attractive golfing destination for visitors from all corners of the globe.
Signature 17th Hole
Every golf course has a signature hole and Kiva Dunes is no different. Regardless of your golfing ability, when you take the walk from the 16th green to the 17th tee, your nerves will seriously be tested as water lines the holes all the way down the left. If you are playing from the back tees, a tee shot of 215 yards across the water is required and this will test even the best golfers.
The inherent beauty of the 17th is what makes it such a spectacular experience, with wildlife frequently appearing here and this being a hole that can make or break your round.
1. Take advantage of Kiva Dunes’ dynamic tee-time pricing strategy by researching the best times to play – you can pick up a bargain green fee if you book early!
2. Arrive early prior to your tee-time to enjoy high-quality practice facilities that will prepare you for the opening tee shot. A driving range, well-manicured putting green and practice chipping area are all available before you hit the links.
3. Visiting the Gulf without your clubs? Don’t worry, either have your own clubs shipped via Ship Sticks service directly to Kiva Dunes or rent a set from the pro shop.
4. Ready to learn from the best? Book a private lesson with the on-site PGA golf instructor, Rea Schuessler, who will give you plenty of tips to help improve your game before taking all this knowledge on the course.
5. Don’t forget to head over to Kiva Grill located in Kiva Lodge to enjoy a stereotypical southern breakfast, lunch, or dinner.