A Part Of The Beach Bites Series
"This is a light, non-tomatoey soup. It doesn't sit so heavy in your belly!! It can be made one time, add more chicken broth the next day & eat again!!! Even on the 3rd day - it's delicious!! Just add more chicken broth and another can of beans! My 2 teen-age grandchildren love it!!! The oldest one said, "I don't care how gross it looks, it's good!" and he ate 5 bowlfuls!!! Just try it one time and you will be hooked on this soup!!!!"
- 2 (10 oz. pkg.) fresh, chopped turnip greens, or: one 27 oz. can "Margaret Holmes" turnip greens
- 1 small onion, chopped very fine
- 1 pkg. DRY Knorr Vegetable Soup mix
- 1 15 oz. can northern beans
- 1 15 oz. can navy beans
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth (the boxed kind)
- 1 lb. pkg. smoked sausage, sliced thin and cut into quarters (I use polish kielbasa) it tasted better if you brown in a skillet - but you don't have to.
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- pepper to taste
- (Do NOT add salt)
Cook onions in a non-stick 5 pt. pot until transparent and tender. Add the quartered polish sausage to the pan and cook just a little bit, stirring occasionally. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir and bring to a boil-reduce heat & simmer until heated through and through and the green peas in the dry Knorr you added are done. Substituting turkey or chicken sausage works fine. With the low sodium ckn. broth and turkey or ckn. sausage - it's healthy and good!