Besides the beach, consider these 12 must-do activities for your summer vacation in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. Let me give you a few ideas in case your toes ever decide to leave the warm, white-sand shore this summer.
1. GulfQuest Maritime Museum – This is a must-see if you’re in the area this summer! One of the best hands-on museums in the south, this maritime museum combines learning and play in a unique way. Drive a cargo ship in a storm. Sit in the emergency center during a hurricane. Learn how sailors used to read the stars for navigation. Located an hour outside of Gulf Shores, in Mobile, you may want to plan your visit for your drive in or out.
2. Dolphin Cruise – Time to leave the shore to sail on the water! This is a wonderful way to explore marine life. Nothing beats the excitement of spotting a pod of dolphins. A sunset cruise is a perfect - and peaceful - way to end the day.
3. USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park – Not only will you get to climb the many levels of the battleship, but you’ll get to see war planes and explore the inside of a submarine as well! Experience what military life was like on the seas and in the air. Also located in nearby Mobile, the battleship may be best visited on the way in to or out from your vacation.
4. Fort Morgan – Climb the walls – literally. Walk the grounds of this historic fort and imagine the battles that were fought from this very spot. Fort Morgan is a fun way to spend a morning or afternoon. While you're there, stop by the onsite museum for a look at military relics. Check the Fort's website for special events, including candlelight tours!
5. Adventure Island – Cool off on a hot summer day in the arcade! Or challenge your family to a round of mini-golf and laser tag.
6. The Wharf – Shop. Eat. Meet for coffee. See a movie. Ride on the Ferris wheel. You can do it all here. There is even a light show in the evenings. The Wharf in Orange Beach is a can't-miss stop for those looking for an all-in-one entertainment spot.
7. Experience the local cuisine – The beach is only half the fun. The other half is the food! Gulf Shores and Orange Beach offer a variety of restaurants and hangouts. It can get busy in the summer, so check out these insider tips to some of the beach’s best restaurants. They’ll save you time and money!