Celebrate The Art of Alabama Food Exhibit in Orange Beach until Aug. 9, 2014
Whether you’re searching for the perfect piece of pie or the most succulent shrimp this side of the bayou, you’ll find it here on the Alabama Gulf Coast.
We celebrate our coastal cuisine and homegrown faire 365 days a year, but from July 2 to Aug. 9, we’re paying homage to foods from all over Alabama that are featured on the list of “100 Dishes to Eat in Alabama Before You Die.” Thirty-six of these dishes will be on a photographic gallery exhibit called The Art of Alabama Food at The Compleat Studio at The Wharf in Orange Beach. Come experience a new state of sweet and savory satisfaction at this fun exhibit.
During the exhibit on Wednesday to Saturday each week, from 4 to 10 p.m., browse the taste-bud tempting images of Royal Reds from King Neptune’s Restaurant in Gulf Shores, Sea Bass in Banana Leaves from Cosmo’s Restaurant and Bar in Orange Beach and Whiskey Steak from Jesse’s in Magnolia Springs. Other special events include tastings, cooking demonstrations and book signings with some of Alabama’s best-known chefs and more.
What Events Coincide With This Exhibit?
• Chefs’ Tastes Showcase: Wednesday, July 2, 6-8 p.m.
Sample delicious dishes from local restaurant chefs that call The Wharf home, including Baumhower’s Restaurant, Bimini Bob’s Cabana Café, The Compleat Angler, Louisiana Pantry, Ginny Lane Bar & Grill and Naman’s Catering in Mobile. Chefs in attendance will include Jim Smith, executive chef at the Governor’s mansion; Bob Baumhower; Tom Wolfe, chef and owner of Louisiana Pantry; Steve Zucker, executive chef for Aloha Hospitality; Alec Naman, owner of Naman Catering in Mobile; and Jim Freeman, executive chef at Ginny Lane Bar & Grill.
• Food Photography Tips for Social Media: Wednesday, July 2
• Chef Cook the Catch Demo from the Blue Marlin Grand Championship: Saturday, July 12
Following the final weigh-in of the Blue Marlin Grand Championship, fish caught in the tournament will be cooked by chefs on site and served to the large crowd that attends each year. This event showcases not only local chefs’ culinary abilities amidst some friendly competition, but highlights the area’s love for seafood during one of the largest fishing competitions of the year.
• Food Photography Tips for Social Media: Saturday, July 12
• Chef Author Book Signings: Wednesday, July 16, 5-7 p.m.
• Tastes From Local Chefs’ Dishes Featured in “100 Dishes to Eat in Alabama Before You Die”: Thursday, July 17, 5-7 p.m.
Experience samples from some of the best restaurants around Baldwin County, including Bimini Bob’s, Hazel’s Seafood Restaurant, LuLu’s at Homeport Marina, Doc’s Seafood Shack, Cosmos, Ginny Lane Bar & Grill, Voyagers and The Hangout.
• Food Photography Tips for Social Media: Saturday, July 17
• Coastal Alabama Farmers’ and Fishermen’s Market Demo: Thursday, July 24, 5-7 p.m.
Showcasing local ingredients at their finest, this event will include a small-scale Farmers’ and Fishermen’s Market featuring some of the freshest foods the area has to offer.
• Local Culinary Festival Promo with Tastes: Friday, July 25, 5-7 p.m.
With samples from large culinary festivals in Baldwin County, this promo will please even the most particular palate. This event will leave you saving the date for your upcoming new favorite festival.
• Food Photography Tips for Social Media: Saturday, July 25
• Coastal Alabama Farmers’ and Fishermen’s Market Demo and Local Purveyors Showcase: Thursday, July 31, 5-7 p.m.
Showcasing local ingredients at their finest, this event will include a small-scale Farmers’ and Fishermen’s Market featuring some of the freshest foods the area has to offer. Additionally, local growers and purveyors will sell their delectable goods to the public at this one-of-a-kind combination event. All unsold food will be purchased by Aloha Hospitality and be distributed to their corresponding restaurants in support of local farms and small businesses.
• Aloha Vendors Tailgate Tastings: Saturday, Aug. 2, 5-7 p.m.
With football season around the corner, Aloha Hospitality will host a tailgate-themed event featuring local vendors, creating an Alabama food fan out of all who attend. This event will be hosted by the Crimson Tide Sports Network.
• Local Restaurant Tastes Showcase: Wednesday, Aug. 6 – Saturday, Aug. 9, 5-7 p.m.
Local restaurants culinary skill and signature dishes will be showcased alongside each other for four nights. The public is encouraged to taste test all samples and return to the restaurant of their choice for a full experience.