Five Hot Ways to Hit the Beach this Memorial Day
We're counting down the days to the official kick-off of the summer season. Memorial Day is quickly approaching, so it's time to start making your plans and packing your bags to celebrate summer on Alabama's white-sand beaches. This year's holiday
weekend is slated for May 25 to 28. For the best selection of Gulf Shores hotels and Orange Beach condos, browse the hot summer deals on our website. Here, you'll find specials on rates starting as low as 20 percent off. A Memorial Day beach vacation is a tradition for many families - and if it isn't, maybe it's time it became one! Want some suggestions for how to while away your time on Alabama's white-sand beaches with your family?
- Rent a jet ski. Get your adrenaline pumping as you skim the back bays or the Gulf of Mexico on a personal watercraft.
- Make dinner an event. Plan an early lunch at a Gulf Shores restaurant with fun, family entertainment and things to do. The Hangout is a lively spot for burgers, and kids love the giant sand pile, limbo competition and other hourly contests. Plenty of other beach restaurants make family dining a good time, too. You could even fire up the poolside grill at your beach condo and prepare dinner with a view while the family splashes in the water.
- Stop by Adventure Island in Orange Beach and experience the eruption of its five-story volcano, complete with vibrations and steam. While you're there, challenge the family to a game of laser tag or a paddle boat ride on Lost Lagoon Lake. In Gulf Shores, plan a race on the Wild Woody at The Track or stop by Pirate's Island for a game of putt-putt. For more amusement park activities, visit our directory.
- The Waterville USA waterpark will officially open Memorial Day weekend. When you're not swimming in the Gulf of Mexico or floating down your Orange Beach condo's lazy river, test your skills on the Flowrider.
- Spend an afternoon on a beach cruiser. What's a beach cruiser? A bike! Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are filled with scenic trails that are perfect for family bike rides and experiencing a whole different side of Alabama's beaches. Opt for a throwback to the past with a tandem bike with white-wall tires.
Do you know all the spots to access the public beaches of the Alabama Gulf Coast? Our beach directory can help. A parking fee is required at some locations, including the main public beach in Gulf Shores and the Gulf State Park pavilion. Both beach access locations offer restroom facilities and covered picnic areas. Experience a whole different state of family tradition with a Memorial Day beach vacation to Gulf Shores and Orange Beach.