6. Check the Beach Warning Flag System
Observe and obey the Beach Warning Flag System. Gulf Shores and Orange Beach offer a helpful Beach Warning Flag System with color-coded flags to inform you about current water conditions, so you can avoid dangerous situations and rip currents and stay safe in the water. Conditions change daily, so check each time you head to the beach. Each city also offers a hotline to call if you don’t see a flag where you are visiting.
For current conditions in Gulf Shores, dial 251-968-SURF (7873). For current conditions in Orange Beach, dial 251-981-SURF (7873).
A text messaging program is also available, which sends daily messages about beach conditions and warning flag status. Sign up by texting ALBEACHES to 888777. You can easily opt-out of these text alerts by texting STOP at the end of your stay.
- Yellow Flag: Medium hazard with moderate surf conditions.
- Purple Flag: Dangerous marine life is present.
- Red Flag: High hazard with high surf and strong currents.
- Double Red Flag: Water closed to the public. Please be aware when a double red flag is flying, water conditions are not safe for swimming. We suggest enjoying the sand or pool.
Ready to safely hit the beach? Start planning your trip to Gulf Shores and Orange Beach!