Fun and Inexpensive Summer Activities for Families
There’s no better time to spend outdoors than summer.
If you experienced a longer, and colder winter than normal this year (and who didn’t?) you’re ready to make the most of the warm months and spend time outside with your family. Here are some ideas for fun things everyone can participate in when the weather warms up.
1. Go camping – If you don’t have a tent, or aren’t sure how your family will react, there are campgrounds that allow you to rent a cabin instead. If you can’t get away, why not camp in your backyard? It can be just as fun and if you have little kids the house is right there should things not turn out as planned. If you do plan to get away, make reservations in advance because places fill up quickly in summer months. Check the camping directory for Gulf Shores and Orange Beach campgrounds.
2. Hiking – You can take a hike even if you live in an urban area. Visit a nature preserve or even your favorite park. Spend time together observing the world around you and sharing a good conversation. It’s less about where you go and more about simply spending the time together. The Alabama Gulf Coast has numerous hiking and biking trails, including the Backcountry Trails and the Bon Secour Wildlife Refuge.
3. Pool Day! – Almost everyone loves swimming. What better way to spend a hot afternoon than at the pool? Don’t forget snacks and sunscreen!
4. Plan a Potluck – Invite your friends and family and have an impromptu picnic. You can fire up the grill and let the kids play while you enjoy some adult conversation. Some parks include other activities like boating, volleyball and fishing.
5. Weekend Getaway – If you can’t get away for a long period of time, a weekend trip can be just as enjoyable. Get everyone involved in deciding where to go and what to do. Visit the lodging directory for the latest hot deals for Gulf Shores condos and Orange Beach hotels.
6. Learn a new skill – Is there something your family would love to learn how to do? There are lots of classes offered in summer. Sign up together and enjoy learning in class and practice your new skill outside class.
7. Read – Have a family reading challenge! Gather your books, and spend time outside under the shade of a tree and curl up. Then, enter the Read Your Way Around the Beach sweepstakes for your chance to win a three-night Alabama Gulf Coast vacation!
Parks, Trails & Hiking
The parks and recreation trails of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach offer everyone from hikers to casual walkers the opportunity to explore the abundant natural beauty and wildlife of this paradise by the water.