2021 Fishing Tournaments On Alabama’s Gulf Coast
While the COVID-19 pandemic continues to hinder boat shows around the Gulf of Mexico, the fishing tournament season is going full-blast in 2021.
Read on to get the full schedule of upcoming fishing tournaments happening this year!
- Kicking off the season along the Alabama Gulf Coast is the Orange Beach Billfish Classic (OBBC), set May 20-23 at The Wharf in Orange Beach.The OBBC was formed in 1996 to specifically benefit billfish conservation around the world and has raised more than $750,000 for research and conservation efforts through the Billfish Foundation and other related charities. Anglers will compete in blue marlin, tuna, wahoo and dolphin fish as well as catch-and-release blue marlin.
- The following weekend of May 27-30, the Gulf Coast Masters, aka the Mobile Big Game Fishing Club Memorial Day Tournament, will be held out of Orange Beach Marina. Anglers will compete for a top prize of $75,000 in the blue marlin category.
- For one of the most fun fishing tournaments on the Gulf Coast, get ready for the Flora-Bama Fishing Rodeo, scheduled for June 11-13 at the iconic location on the Alabama-Florida line. The weigh-ins for a variety of fish species will be held at the Flora-Bama Ole River Grille across the street from the Flora-Bama Lounge.
- On June 17-19, The Invitational of the Gulf of Mexico is set for The Wharf in Orange Beach. The Invitational strictly focuses on blue marlin with a minimum length of 114 inches, which is measured from the tip of the lower jaw to the fork in the tail.
- The Blue Marlin Grand Championship, which has become one of the main tournament attractions on the Gulf Coast, comes to The Wharf on July 14-17. Boats will compete in blue marlin, dolphin, tuna (yellowfin and bigeye) and wahoo categories as well as catch-and-release for blue marlin, white marlin, spearfish and sailfish.
- The Alabama Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo is set for July 16-18 at Dauphin Island with anglers competing in 30 fish categories.
- Mobile Big Game Fishing Club has tournaments set on back-to-back weekends at Orange Beach Marina with the Billfish Limited event set for July 23-25, followed by the Ladies Day Tournament July 30-August 1.
- The Orange Beach Open, set for Aug. 5-7 at The Wharf, is a unique event on the Gulf Coasts. The fishing for billfish is all catch-and-release. No billfish are killed during the tournament, but anglers are allowed to weigh in tuna, dolphin and wahoo.
- To close out the big game tournament season, the Mobile Big Game’s Labor Day Tournament is scheduled for Sept. 2-4 at Orange Beach Marina.
Look at your calendar and mark these events so you can watch these great captains and anglers bring huge fish to the weigh docks along the beautiful Alabama Gulf Coast. If you don’t wanna join in on the tournament fun, feel free to come on down to have your own experience fishing in Gulf Shores & Orange Beach.